Males convicted in violent house invasion get 27 years in jail | Information, Sports activities, Jobs

Two men involved in a violent home invasion of an elderly couple in Chesterfield last November were sentenced to 27 years in prison each on Monday.

Antonio R. Provost, 23, of Willsboro and Ethan D. Bonville, 25, of Morrisonville were convicted on charges of second-degree robbery and second-degree burglary, both felonies, earlier this year and on Monday Essex County Court Justice Richard Meyer sentenced them.

Provost and Bonville were both sentenced to 12 years in prison for burglary charge and 15 years in prison for the robbery charge, for a combined 27 years.

Both sentences come with five years of post release supervision.

They were also ordered to pay for surcharges, submit DNA, pay restitution and an order of protection was taken out for a woman who was in the home they robbed.

On Nov. 14, 2020, just before midnight, Provost and Bonville entered the home of George and Ewa Bailey, armed with a knife and shotgun, according to State Police. They restrained the couple and in the process struck George in the face. They fled the scene with money and stolen personal belongings.

George died eight days later after rapidly failing health problems, but charges related to his death were not filed. According to the Essex County District Attorney’s office, the medical examiner could not determine if his death was caused by his injuries. George’s family members have said on social media they are sure the attack is what killed him.

Essex County First Assistant District Attorney Michael Langey, who represented the county, thanked Ewa for her “patience and assistance” in the trial.

“We had very detailed conversations that led up to these men entering pleas of guilty and saves Mrs. Bailey from having to testify about the terribly traumatic events of that evening,” Langey said in a statement from the Essex County District Attorney’s office.

Essex County District Attorney Kristy Sprague said Ewa’s control was stripped away when the convicted men entered her home, and said she hoped the court process allowed Ewa to maintain some control in the trial.

“Mrs. Bailey remained compassionate during our discussions, which I am sure was very difficult to do given the circumstances,” Sprague said in a statement. “We were able to provide her some justice without having to subject her to reliving the events during a trial. Nothing that these men receive as a sentence will ‘heal’ Mrs. Bailey. I just hope she can find some peace knowing these men will be incarcerated for a lengthy period of time where they cannot hurt her or anyone else.”

The New York State Police Violent Crime Unit investigated the case, with assistance from the Essex and Clinton County sheriff’s offices, the Plattsburgh Police Department, and the Clinton and Essex county district attorney’s offices.

Provost was represented by attorney Patrick McFarlin. Bonville represented by attorney Allan Cruikshank. Provost cooperated with police as part of his plea deal.

Other charges in a grand jury’s indictment of the two men in March included first-degree robbery, first-degree burglary, second-degree assault, fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, second-degree criminal use of a firearm, second-degree unlawful imprisonment, fourth-degree grand larceny, fourth-degree criminal mischief and petit larceny.

Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox

Related Articles

Back to top button